Saturday, September 17, 2011

September 13 2011
“Suppose one of you has a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Will he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, ‘Come along now and sit down to eat’?”
Luke 17:7
     Just about every teenager has chores to do around the house. It can be mowing lawns, vacuuming, doing the dishes etc. When we do those chores, we expect something in return, for many of us, that reward is allowance. But why should our parents give us money for something that we are supposed to do freely? They already provide food on the table, education, and a warm bed to sleep in. That’s a reward in itself. But we (teenagers) want more than what we deserve. I believe this also applies to Christians who serve God through serving other people. We often think we should receive some kind of reward or acknowledgement for what we have done. But Christ went through an unfathomable amount of suffering so that we could have the chance to have a relationship with Him and go to heaven for eternity. I believe we should consider it a blessing to serve God in any possible way rather than look at it as a chore or something that deserves an earthly reward, because our ultimate reward is spending an eternal life in heaven.

Application: 
This has been very convicting to me because I used to think that my parents should give me allowance for working around the house. But after reading this verse, it helped me to realize how good I have it and I am actually extremely blessed to be able to serve my parents, because they have done so much for me. I am going to constantly be thankful for the life that I have and approach serving as an opportunity to honor God. “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God”. 1st Corinthians 10:31.

No comments:

Post a Comment