Saturday, October 8, 2011

compassion

October 6, 2011
“And they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need.”
Acts 2:45
     As I read this I can easily think of dozens of homeless friends back home who are going hungry every day, have one pair of clothes, and are very lonely. People are in need all around us! How often do we see the homeless man (or woman) at the end of the street holding up a sign begging for a piece of bread? We are so quick to judge them and call them lazy when we haven’t even talked to them and don’t know their story. This is not meant make one feel guilty for having a cell phone, computer, a house to sleep in, and three meals a day, but is meant to make one realize that we have all these things for a reason; and that is to bless others. Jesus instructs us to do this: “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” (Matthew 19:21). Jesus painted a very clear picture for us.
Application:
     I’m going to keep this mindset and continue to minister to the homeless people of San Diego as long as I live there. I will also try to think of ways to make the ministry that I’m involved in grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment